Death toll rises after twin China quakes
At least 54 people were killed and more than 300 severely injured when two shallow earthquakes struck northwest China early Monday, officials said, as rescuers battled to reach survivors in the remote, mountainous area.
The local government in Dingxi in Gansu province, where the 5.9- and 5.6-magnitude tremors struck, gave the figures on its verified social media account.
"More than 21 000 buildings were severely damaged and more than 1,200 have collapsed," an official at the provincial earthquake bureau told AFP, adding that 371 aftershocks had been recorded.
The US Geological Survey said the initial 5.9-magnitude quake hit at 07:45 (23:45 GMT), with its epicentre 151km west of Beidao in Gansu at a depth of just 9.8km.
A second 5.6-magnitude tremor hit the same region at 9:12 and was 10.1km deep, USGS said.
Post a Comment